pin a subsystem to a CPU

Alex de Kruijff freebsd at akruijff.dds.nl
Sun Feb 22 05:00:29 PST 2004

On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 10:23:12AM +0000, Bin Ren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm thinking about whether it's possible and how to pin
> a subsystem of kernel, from a particular driver (such as
> software RAID) to TCP network stack, to a particular
> CPU. In other words, I have dual processors and how
> can I make one of the CPU JUST runs TCP stack so
> as to increase network throughput?
>
> Shall I turn the piece of codes into a kernel thread? Then
> how hard is it?

Dear Bin,

I have a processor with enabled HT and run FreeBSD 5 2. I notice that
the system handles this quite well on its own. When i start to compile
something then the first miniute XMMS has trouble playing MP3s, but
afther that time the system has ajusted quite well.

--
Alex

Articles based on solutions that I use:
http://www.kruijff.org/alex/index.php?dir=docs/FreeBSD/