screen -X hardcopy fails on never attached instance

Steven Hartland killing at multiplay.co.uk
Sat Feb 21 18:00:36 PST 2004

If you start a screen session detached to run a command in
then run screen -X hardcopy -h /var/tmp/capture.txt
The size of the capture is always 0. I've done some digging
with a debug build and this is due to it failing to find the window
"Running command on display 0 window 0 (-1)"
If however you attach to the command session first and
then detach all is fine.

It seems like screen -m -d <command> is missing some
initialisation somewhere but I cant find where.

**Never attached***
Knock - knock!
Ha, there was someone knocking on my fifo??
secopen(/tmp/screens/S-root/25144.my screen, 0x4, 0000)
Deq event fd 4 type 1 queued 1
New event fd 4 type 1 queued 0
*** RecMsg: type 8 tty /dev/ttyp2
display: /dev/ttyp2 display not found
FindUserPtr root found, id 0
FindNiceWindow -1 NULL
Running command on display 0 window 0 (-1)
WriteFile(3) /usr/ports/misc/screen/work/screen-4.0.1/test2.capture
Writefile: usercontext
 + hit ev fd 0 type 3!
serv_select_fn called
waiting for events:
 - fd 6 type 1 pri 0
 - fd 6 type 2 pri 0
 - fd 4 type 1 pri 0
 - fd 0 type 3 pri -10
 - cond ev fd 6 type 2 failed
readfds: 4 6
writefds:

**Previously attached***
Knock - knock!
Ha, there was someone knocking on my fifo??
secopen(/tmp/screens/S-root/25144.my screen, 0x4, 0000)
Deq event fd 4 type 1 queued 1
New event fd 4 type 1 queued 0
*** RecMsg: type 8 tty /dev/ttyp2
display: /dev/ttyp2 display not found
FindUserPtr root found, id 0
FindNiceWindow 0 NULL
Running command on display 0 window 80b7000 (0)
WriteFile(3) /usr/ports/misc/screen/work/screen-4.0.1/test2.capture
Writefile: usercontext
 + hit ev fd 0 type 3!
serv_select_fn called
waiting for events: