Xircom CEM56 problem

RMH rmhlldr at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Feb 20 21:58:32 PST 2004

Hello hackers,

I have a problem with Xircom CEM56 (Ethernet + Modem) PC Card.
I know it isn't really possible on 4.x to use both network &
modem parts at the same time, but how to switch between them
without rebooting?

For example, if I've booted with pccardd configured for either,
then I edit pccard.conf (a symlink to a real network or modem
.conf file), and what next? kldunload if_xe.ko if loaded already,
kill -s HUP [pccardd_pid] or just kill -9 [pccardd_pid] and
restart don't seem to have a desired effect because kernel
(pccard) complaints that it cannot attach more than one child.
But upon rebooting it probes the hardware just fine. How may I
reset pccard on the fly?

A working solution is to pull the card and install it into a
second slot, but I guess it's not the best idea, because after
several such "swaps" I've got a page fault an a kernel panic...

---
Regards,
 Rhett