FreeBSD 5.2 v/s FreeBSD 4.9 MFLOPS performance (gcc3.3.3 v/s gcc2.9.5)

Wes Peters wes at softweyr.com
Thu Feb 19 00:44:46 PST 2004

On Monday 16 February 2004 10:11 am, Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
> Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> writes:
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 03:52:16AM -0800, Wes Peters wrote:
> > > Should I commit this?
> >
> > What effect does it have on non-i386 architectures?
>
> It can't possibly hurt.  If the stack is already aligned on a "better"
> boundary (64 or 128 bytes), it is also aligned on a 32-byte boundary
> since 64 and 128 are multiples of 32, and the patch is a no-op.  If
> only a 16-byte alignment is required, a 32-byte alignment wastes a
> small amount of memory but does not hurt performance.  I believe that
> less-than-16 (and possibly even less-than-32) alignment is pessimal on
> all platforms we support.

I'm building world on my sparc64 just to be sure.  Sorry, I didn't get to
work on this at all last night, but I should be able to post conclusive
results tonight, I just have to get through the rather long buildworld
while I'm at the office today.

Thank ${DEITY} for cheap, fast AMD machines. ;^)

--

        Where am I, and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Wes Peters                                               wes at softweyr.com