FreeBSD 5.2 v/s FreeBSD 4.9 MFLOPS performance (gcc3.3.3 v/sgcc2.9.5)

Juan Tumani jtumani55 at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 16 11:34:07 PST 2004

>"Juan Tumani" <jtumani55 at hotmail.com> writes:
> > I patched in the patch shown below and it didn't fix the problem, it
> > only changed the frequency of the spikes to 32 on/off.
>
>try replacing 0x1F with 0x3F in the patch and see what happens.

That seems to work in that it flattens the line out.  Not sure why programs
linked
in 4.9 don't need the alignment fix in 5.2.

Also, if you compare the 'floor' shown in the first 2 charts (as well as the
last chart) at:

http://www.employees.org/~rsargent/flops/

with the 3rd chart at:

http://www.employees.org/~rsargent/flops/charts2.html

you can see the program is more than twice as fast when linked in FreeBSD
4.9
than when linked in 5.2 as shown by the floor being 1.25 seconds/iteration
for
4.9 linking v/s 2.96 seconds/iteration for 5.2 linking (on my ref machine).

Any ideas, things to try, linker options in 5.2?

Thanks-
JT