bktr: /dev/vdi0 - no data?

Oliver Lehmann lehmann at ans-netz.de
Wed Feb 11 14:47:47 PST 2004

Hello,

I hope, I've chosen the right list.

I'm trying to get scantv (a tool shipped with xawtv) working on FreeBSD.
It sets well known frequencies, calls then TVTUNER_GETSTATUS to see if
there is a signal or not. After that it calles a function out of libzvbi
to get the station-name.

At this point, the program just hangs. It looks like it's waiting for data
out of /dev/vbi0 (I've no clue how to debug the library-function-call with
gdb). ktrace is:

 24641 scantv   RET   write 5
 24641 scantv   CALL  read(0x7,0x80d3000,0x10000)
 24641 scantv   RET   read -1 errno 35 Resource temporarily unavailable
 24641 scantv   CALL  poll(0x806f000,0x1,0)
 24641 scantv   RET   poll 0
 24641 scantv   CALL  poll(0x806f000,0x2,0xffffffff)

At this point, I'm not able to echo sth. to /dev/vbi0

olivleh1 at kartoffel olivleh1> echo asasassa > /dev/vbi0
/dev/vbi0: Device busy.

After ^C'ing the program, I'was trying to cat /dev/vbi0:

root at kartoffel olivleh1> cat /dev/vbi0
[hang....]

No data comes out. On linux, I'll get data at any I access the device
(Gerd Knorr told me).
Right after I started for example xawtv, I'm getting data out of
/dev/vbi0. Right after closing xawtv, the spooling out of /dev/vbi0
stoped. Is there a way to "enable" the bktr device spooling it's data to
/dev/vbi0? Actually it's also busy during the scantv run.

  Greetings, Oliver

--
 Oliver Lehmann
  http://www.pofo.de/