how to fool gcc?

Tim Kientzle kientzle at acm.org
Tue Feb 10 08:11:27 PST 2004

Suggestions:

1) Convert RETURNS(s) into a function rather than a macro.

2) Use a ternary (someone else suggested this)

3) Remove the printf-like declaration (Yes, this is distasteful.)

4) Add an intermediate variable:
       do {
            const char *_t = (s) == NULL ? "NULL" : (s);
            openpam_log(... , _t);
            return (s);
       } while (0)

That's all I can think of right now, though I'm certain there
are numerous other fixes.

Good luck, (let us know what works!)

Tim