4-stable bug: comconsole and boot -a option

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Mon Feb 9 22:58:35 PST 2004

Dear colleagues,

I found very strange bug. Actually, bug was introduced at running system with
vinum root, when I did not succeed in mounting explicit root via `boot -a'
prompt. I did a bit of research, and found that there is certainly a bug when
comconsole is enabled:

ad0: 7339MB <QUANTUM FIREBALL EL7.6A> [15907/15/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

Manual root filesystem specification:
                       eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot> ufs:/dev/ad0s1e
Mounting root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

Look at two last lines. Input asked at vfs_mountroot_ask() did not used,
possibly because kern/vfs_conf.c:gets() dit not actually read the input from
comconsole. However, I'm not kernel hacker and looking at kern/tty_cons.c
scares me a bit :)

Should I file a PR for this?

Sincerely,