Subversion/CVS experiment summary

Ollivier Robert roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Mon Feb 9 13:27:23 PST 2004

According to Craig Boston:
> This is an informal report on the viability of using Subversion to manage the
> FreeBSD source code repository.  Some of this is generic and will be familiar
> to anyone who has looked at SVN before, some is more FreeBSD-specific.

Thanks for doing this.  I tried the same around 0.12/0.14 and it was a
complete disaster with svn crashing with an out-of-memory error after
taking all of my 512 MB of RAM and the 2 GB of swap...

In the meantime, I'm switching to Arch/tla instead of Perforce for my own
projects, the distributed nature of arch makes it enormously useful before
I have several machines with repos on them and I want to be able to commit
and merge across all these repos and only Arch gives me that (well BK does
but I don't like the license and is closed source anyway).

I've thought about replacing CVS with Arch in the FreeBSD context, even
organised a BoF about that at BSDCon '03, but the development is rather
different and I'm not sure it could be applied w/o too much pain.

On a side remark, I still don't trust svn way of having everything stored
in a BDB. Makes repos far too large, generates lots of logs and makes
recovery more complicated.
Ollivier ROBERT -=- FreeBSD: The Power to Serve! -=- roberto at keltia.freenix.fr
Darwin snuadh.freenix.org Kernel Version 7.2.0: Thu Dec 11 16:20:23 PST 2003