[call for helpers!] Tuning for the Beaver Challenge

Aniruddha Bohra bohra at cs.rutgers.edu
Mon Feb 9 09:27:06 PST 2004

Hello,

> The one setting that I do suggest you keep is:
>
> kern.ipc.somaxconn=512 (128 may be too low for http testing)

In our experience with Apache and clients that do not use
Keep Alive (are short lived), 512 is also very low. It
causes listen queue overflows and leads to a very low
throughput.

Another place that we had to look at was the IP sw interrupt
queue length.

# IP sw interrupt queue len, default 50;
# check queue drops stats in net.inet.ip.intr_queue_drops
net.inet.ip.intr_queue_maxlen=1000

Hope this helps

Aniruddha