Odd geom behaviour.

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Tue Dec 21 03:05:00 PST 2004

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 10:51:11PM -0500, David Gilbert wrote:
+> I have a set of 12 disks.  2x9G and 10x4.5G.  I have a setup whereby I
+> run a gmirror on each pair of disks and then a gconcat on the
+> mirrors.  Attached is a copy of the gmirror and gconcat lists.
+>
+> Now... I "shutdown -r" this machine (which happens to be an alpha) and
+> it shuts down happily.  However, _every_ time it reboots, it wishes to
+> rebuild the mirrors:
+>
+> GEOM_MIRROR: Device m1 created (id=4055141955).
+> GEOM_MIRROR: Device m1: provider da1 detected.
+> GEOM_MIRROR: Device m1: provider da2 detected.
+> GEOM_MIRROR: Device m1: provider da2 activated.
+> GEOM_MIRROR: Device m1: provider mirror/m1 launched.
+> GEOM_MIRROR: Device m1: rebuilding provider da1.
+>
+> (x5 more for the other mirrors).  Now this isn't particularly bad, I
+> suppose, except that the machine is occupied for some number of
+> minutes after boot with this activity.  No fsck ... the filesystem is
+> happy.
+>
+> The machine is available for testing should someone want to look at
+> it.  In fact, the machine is part of my "retrocluster" of hardware
+> running FreeBSD and NetBSD (if someone needs hardware with serial
+> consoles to debug, this is the purpose of the retrocluster).
+>
+> Anyways... ideas?
+>
+> (note that in these files, the mirrors are still rebuilding)

What system version are you using? If this is 5.3 you should place:

	swapoff="YES"

to your /etc/rc.conf and use shutdown(8) command to reboot/turn off your
machine.
This is fixed in HEAD in much more clean way already.