Partiotioning 2.2TB Under FreeBSD 5.2.1

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Tue Dec 14 15:31:16 PST 2004

On 2004-12-14 12:29, Amandeep Pannu <aman at chamkila.org> wrote:
> I have 12WD 200GB SATA drives with RAID5 and glabal spare on 3ware 9000
> series controller. Also one 80GB SATA drive for OS.
> I had to manually compile the twa driver. kldload twa. The system started
> recognizing the controller and the total capacity.
> Although the dao show 2.2TB but when I try to partition the RAID5 the
> sysinstall only shows me 271GB.

This may be a bug in the way sysinstall handles huge numbers.

> Any ideas how to partition or see the whole 2TB.

Try using fdisk, bsdlabel and newfs without relying on the sysinstall
interface, i.e.:

1. Install a single slice covering the entire disk:

	# fdisk -I /dev/da0
	******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
	fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
	# fdisk -I /dev/da0
	******* Working on device /dev/da0 *******
	#

2. Install a new label on da0s1:

	# bsdlabel -w /dev/da0s1

3. Edit the label.  Keep in mind that in 5.X the 'c' partition covers
only the `useful' area of the disk, so you don't have to leave some
unused space at the beginning of da0s1c when you set the size of the
da0s1a partition:

	# bsdlabel -e /dev/da0s1

4. Create a new filesystem on da0s1a:

	# newfs /dev/da0s1a