My project wish-list for the next 12 months

Scott M. Ferris sferris at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 14:49:56 PST 2004

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 22:02:40 +0000, Christoph Hellwig <hch at infradead.org> wrote:

> Note that this isn't different from any sufficiently complex HBA driver,
> except that the code that can operate under these conditions is more
> complex for iscsi.

I don't understand why you think the situation is at all comparable to
other HBA drivers.  The complexity of the HBA driver code isn't the
real issue.  The problem with software-only iSCSI HBA drivers is that
they usually try to make use of the OS TCP stack, and that stack
usually wasn't designed to operate under the constraints that an HBA
driver has to operate under.  The correctness of a software-only iSCSI
HBA driver depends on properties of the TCP stack, as well as the HBA
driver's code.   I don't think that's true of any other HBA driver.

--
Scott M. Ferris