rc.shutdown and jails

Ralf S. Engelschall rse+freebsd-hackers at FreeBSD.org
Sat Dec 11 00:29:09 PST 2004

On Fri, Dec 10, 2004, Nielsen wrote:

> Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> >Currently a "/etc/rc.d/jail stop" just kills all processes in the
> >individual jails. If /etc/default/rc.conf's default way of booting the
> >jails (jail_exec="/bin/sh /etc/rc") is used this is a rather crual
> >approach IMHO. I think if the jail is booted through /etc/rc it also
> >should be given the chance to shutdown via /etc/rc.shutdown. If then
> >there are still processes remaining, the killall(1) is fine, of course.
> >This way packages and other sub-systems have the chance to perform a
> >graceful shutdown.
>
> Definitely a good plan. You just have to watch out for environment
> variable leakage into the jail subsystem when using jexec. A minor
> concern, perhaps.
> [...]

Ok, good point. I think running "env -i /usr/sbin/jexec" instead of
just "jexec" is sufficient here because the rc.shutdown reinitializes
at least PATH and HOME again and the remaining variables should be not
needed for the procedure.

--
rse at FreeBSD.org                        Ralf S. Engelschall
FreeBSD.org/~rse                       rse at engelschall.com
FreeBSD committer                      www.engelschall.com