[patch] Samsung SPH-i500 Palm phone as a modem and organizer under 5.3-RELEASE

Sean Welch Sean_Welch at alum.wofford.org
Wed Dec 8 07:46:38 PST 2004

I saw a while back that someone was asking about using this device as
a modem.  I've now purchased one and have done some work on the usb
subsystem to use it both as a modem and a Palm device.  Have a look at
the PR I just filed (with the patch in it):

The message I saw earlier is here:

http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?155150000.1067738418

I've taken the liberty of cc'ing you, LER, just in case you still have
the phone and would like to use it with FreeBSD.

The section I've added to my /etc/usbd.conf file to handle syncing is
as follows:

device "Samsung I500"
        devname "ucom0"
        vendor  0x0830
        product 0x0001
        release 0x0100
        attach "/usr/bin/su - welchsm -c '/usr/X11R6/bin/jpilot-sync -b'"

Note that the vendor and product codes belong to Palm *not* Samsung.
I prefer a full backup of everything on the phone but if you just want
contacts/notes/schedule you can leave off the -b.  Make sure usbd is
running and this will fire off as soon as you hit the sync button
(logged in or not!).  Running the GUI interface for jpilot will also
work -- IF you press the sync button *before* starting the program.
Neither coldsync nor gnomepilot seems to work, though I suspect that
with the newer usb setup in -CURRENT (creating ttyU* devices) that
gnomepilot would work there.

I hope someone else can get as much use as I am from this device!

Sean