Hand on gmirror (Was: Re: gmirror bugs, how many?)

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Wed Dec 8 02:20:01 PST 2004

On Wed, Dec 08, 2004 at 11:40:44AM +0200, Alexandr Kovalenko wrote:
+> > +> To be on original topic - is there any way to make a mirror from live
+> > +> system? I mean I have running FreeBSD on da0 and I want to make a
+> > +> gmirror on it (I'm planning to add second drive soon). How to avoid
+> > +> those disklabel warnings correctly?
+> >
+> > You still need to reboot. The whole instruction you should find in
+> > freebsd-geom@ mailing list archives, I wrote about this few times, AFAIR.
+>
+> Could you please remember subject of that thread?
+>
+> I was able to make a gmirror on live system using
+> kern.geom.debugflags=16, but problem with disklabel remains.

You cannot do this on live system, because you need to mount root file
system on top of the mirror and remounting root file system is not
possible. You need to create the mirror on 2nd disk first, etc.

Even if you store metadata on disk (with debugflags=16), changes will
not be updated on 2nd disk, because I/O requests go to the disk provider,
not to the mirror provider.