kernel not linking (4.10-R + GCC-3.3.5 + binutils-2.15)

Edward B. Dreger eddy+public+spam at noc.everquick.net
Tue Dec 7 21:12:17 PST 2004

Greetings,

Apologies in advance if this is better suited for another forum.

I have a mostly-stock 4.10-RELEASE system, save for GCC 3.3.5 and
binutils 2.15.  After bootstrapping the GCC/binutils builds with stock
versions, I self-built the new GCC and binutils.

I can compile and link most software without trouble.  Building a kernel
apparently works fine[1] until the linking stage, when I receive

	linking kernel
	ld: target elf32-i386 not found
	*** Error code 1

Any hints on how I've managed to screw up binutils?

[1] A few source files required slight modifications (mostly re
    preprocessor stringification and switch statements), and I removed
    -fformat-extensions from CWARNFLAGS in bsd.kern.mk.  I'd bet money
    that these aren't the problems; I only mention it because I don't
    want anyone to try replacing their toolchain and getting highly
    annoyed.

TIA,
Eddy
--