Rebooting the kernel without resetting uptime?

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Sun Dec 5 18:48:15 PST 2004

Mike Silbersack wrote this message on Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 20:24 -0600:
> On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, Stefan Midjich wrote:
>
> >I know a guy i respect on IRC told me this is not possible but since this
> >is the hackers list i thought the topic at least deserves a discussion. I
> >guess i wont be able to sit still until someone either does it or shows me
> >why it can't be done.
>
> Faking the uptime which is retrieved by netcraft and other services which
> check TCP timestamps would be easy.
>
> Faking your local uptime might be a bit more work, there could be
> sideeffects of accelerating the timecounters.

Bah, it's not that hard, just write out the current uptime on shutdown,
then update the boottime and uptime on bootup...  make their sysctl's
writable, it shouldn't be a problem..  though what's just a number, might
as well make your uptime 500 years.. :)  that'd really throw everyone..

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579