My project wish-list for the next 12 months

Kamal R. Prasad kamalp at acm.org
Fri Dec 3 04:42:05 PST 2004

> Anaconda is also GPLed and also requires a good few changes for most
> of it to run under FreeBSD. I haven't made any of these changes, but
> we looked into using Anaconda in DragonFly before we started on our
> own installer, and it would have just been too much work for the
> deadline we had (our 1.0 installer was written in less than 3
> months!). Yes, it is in Python, but all the VESA stuff is via
> framebuffer, not an X server, so it's not something that we could use
> easily. At least, this was the case when I researched it in May.
> Anything GPL probably won't qualify in the first place, due to obvious
> license incompatibilities.

Sorry for going off on a tangent -and pl ignore if its annoying:-
Can someone elaborate on the impact of GPL if one is to use lGPL'ed code
without modifying it. i.e. if the kernel or library is GPL'ed and a
module is developed on top of it and sold, does the GPL require one to
give out the src code for the developed module too?

thansks
-kamal