My project wish-list for the next 12 months

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 13:41:37 PST 2004

> >> 4.  Journaled filesystem.
> >
> > The stage of the current implementation is, as I said, read-only.
> > Further, it's currently i386 only.
>
> In theory, it shouldn't be tied to i386, but I never tested it somewhere
> else unfortunately.

Got that from the reiserfs port which says it doesn't compile other
than under i386.

> > However, I think that there is enough interest in this new (and
> > relatively exciting) filesystem that we may be able to find some
> > developers with time (Possibly including myself) and desire to try to
> > implement write support and do some porting.   To ease any qualms
> > with regards to licensing, it appears
> > (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-October/040998.html)
> >  that the current implementation is BSD licensed.
>
> Not exactly. Only the mount_reiserfs command is under BSD. The kernel
> module is GPL.

Oh, I'm sorry.  I guess I read quickly and w/o thinking enough.  I
suppose that would put is near square 1.

> I don't know neither JFS nor XFS, but Reiser4 may be a great candidate
> too (the current port is ReiserFS 3.6 only). It sure doesn't have the
> maturity of ReiserFS but brings nice features.

That would be nice if the support could be gathered for it.  I do like
it better than XFS (which I've tried).

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.