probe ordering of interfaces

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Mon Aug 30 13:02:12 PDT 2004

In <200408291408.i7TE8uG02335 at Mail.NOSPAM.DynDNS.dK>, Barry Bouwsma <freebsd-misuser at remove-NOSPAM-to-reply.NOSPAM.dyndns.dk> typed:
> [please drop me from replies and keep it on the list]
> Even more specifically, I have a drive that I either attach
> via firewire on one machine, or via USB on a different box.
> I wish this drive to always be da0.  I can connect it to a
> suitably ordered uhub slot in order to guarantee all other
> USB devices get da1-whatever.  However, it seems that umass
> devices get attached to da* before firewire.

You can do this in the config file. My 5.x box is down now, so I'll
quote from my 4.9 box with the same problem - a USB card reader that
turns up as da0 in the default scanning order. Here's the extract from
the config file that solves the problem:

# SCSI Controllers
device		ahc0		# AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
device		ahc		# AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices

# SCSI peripherals
device		scbus0 at ahc0	# SCSI bus (required)
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required)
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)

scbus0 is scanned first. I wired it down to ahc0. The occurence of ahc
following ahc0 is because I have two ahc's in the box. The scbus
following scbus0 will cause the second ahc and the usb scbus's to be
found and scanned.

Camcontrol devlist looks like this:

<SEAGATE ST39236LW 0004>           at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<SEAGATE ST39173W 5958>            at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<iomega jaz 1GB J.86>              at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass2,da2)
<NEC CD-ROM DRIVE:466 1.26>        at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass3,cd0)
<HAGIWARA SmartMedia R/W 2.00>     at scbus1 target 0 lun 0 (pass4,da3)
<MEMOREX CD-RW 8220S 1.10>         at scbus2 target 5 lun 0 (pass5,cd1)

As you can see, scsbus0 is the first ahc, scbus1 is the card reader,
and scbus2 is the second ahc.

	<mike