m4 is broken -- can't rename builtins (patch in PR)

Tim Robbins tjr at freebsd.org
Mon Aug 16 21:20:47 PDT 2004

On Thu, Aug 12, 2004 at 10:30:48PM -0500, Craig Boston wrote:
> Hi -hackers:
>
> Just wondering if I could get a committer's attention to look at
> bin/59883.  It seems that m4 has been broken for quite some time -- at
> least in the ability to rename builtin macros -- defn() doesn't work
> correctly anymore.  I've been using the simple patch in the PR locally
> for the last several months and have yet to run into any problems with
> it.  I guess not many people use the bundled m4 for anything much more
> complicated than making sendmail.cf files ;)
>
> I'm not sure who is the active maintainer for m4 is, or even if there is
> one.  CC: tjr & smkelly as they are the last couple people to touch the
> code in a while.  I hope I'm sending this to the right place :)

I've just committed a temporary fix for this to -CURRENT, and will MFC
it in about a week. I'll consider merging in the better (but more involved)
OpenBSD fix and any other useful changes they've made, but this will have
to wait until after 5.3-R. Thanks for bringing the problem to my attention.

Tim