No DRM kernel support for i830 ?

Keith Whitwell keith at tungstengraphics.com
Thu Aug 12 00:48:16 PDT 2004

John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 August 2004 07:07 am, Alexey Dokuchaev wrote:
>
>>Hi there,
>>
>>Judging from /sys/dev/drm/ contents, and listed kernel options in NOTES,
>>there's currently evidence of support for i810/830 chips in FreeBSD,
>>which (I suspect) is the probable reason why DRI is not enabled on my
>>box (FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT from yesterday, latest X.Org).  I also found
>>traces of i810/830 support in FDo CVS
>>(http://freedesktop.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/dri/drm/bsd/i830/),
>>getting me to the fact that i8x0 files were removed from the BSD side,
>>since they were not actually ported.  (Unfinished? broken? unstable?)
>

> The i830 DRM stuff is ported in a branch of DRI, but it's not in DRI head
> because of a security problem with the code.

And there were some persistent issues with older hardware that I never
resolved to my satisfaction.

The new 'i915' code fixes these problems and is generally much cleaner - it
should be the focus for intel chipset development from here out.  I don't know
any reason why it shouldn't be possible to apply the freebsd changes from the
branch to this code on the head.

Keith