Realtime memory testing - Was: Re: how to logically disable memory

João Carlos Mendes Luís jonny at jonny.eng.br
Tue Aug 10 15:06:48 PDT 2004

     Porting is probably not an option, since the memory managers are
very different.  But the same idea could be applied.

     Indeed, in my college times, I had a class about memory testing
procedures, and had an idea to patch the FreeBSD kernel to do realtime
memory tests and lock bad memory.  This way, the system would be a lot
more stable, even with bad hardware (common in poor countries like Brasil).

     The solution is probably near the VM core.  At that time I was
thinking in changing the page mapper, but now I know this would just
make the system more i386 specific, and the solution could be
architecture generic.

     No, unfortunatly I never let this idea grow into a solution.
Probably because I never got the guts to fully understand the FreeBSD VM
engine.  ;-)