ATAPI DVDwriters (not) to buy?

Mike Silbersack silby at silby.com
Mon Aug 9 17:24:26 PDT 2004

On Mon, 9 Aug 2004, Wilko Bulte wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 10:29:35PM +0200, Søren Schmidt wrote..
>> duallayer media yet as I havn't been able to locate any that didn't cost
>> an arm and a leg :)
>> Oh, its slow for ripping as they have put in a lock for that, you can
>> get around it by loading new firmware that removes that lock (and region
>> locking as well if needed) from here http://tdb.rpc1.org/index.htm
>
> Ah, have you tried that f/w?
>
> thanks a bunch!
> W/
> --
> Wilko Bulte				wilko at FreeBSD.org

I have a ND-1100A, and it has been working great with the modified
firmware.  The 1100A only burns +R discs, but it has worked great for me
so far; I don't think that it has burned a single coaster yet.

However, I have only used it under Windows, I can't speak for its FreeBSD
compatibility.

If I was to upgrade, I would definitely choose another NEC burner.  (Which
is funny, because I bought the original because it was the cheapest one
for sale at a local store at the time.  Only after I got it home and out
of the box did I find out that it was a rebranded NEC.  I'm lucky that I
didn't get a piece of junk!)

Mike "Silby" Silbersack