auto-patching the system

Walter C. Pelissero walter at pelissero.de
Sat Sep 27 10:12:46 PDT 2003

I keep my src tree updated with cvsup, but I start to accumulate
patches to kernel or programs that I'd like to include automatically
each time I recompile the kernel (pretty often) or I do a "make world"
(much less often).

Those are usually patches that have been already put forward to the
attention of the maintainers with a send-pr, but got forgotten or
simply ignored possibly because considered not interesting.

At the moment I simply manually copy the modified files into the
source tree before recompiling, but, of course, next time I do a
cvsup, the changes are gone, requiring me to repeat the process next
time I compile (and likely forgetting some stuff).

Is there already any pre-canned way to include those patches at
compile time?  (A parallel source tree, for instance.)

Cheers,

--
walter pelissero
http://www.pelissero.de