USB keyboard thoughts.

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Fri Sep 26 18:27:41 PDT 2003

I acquired my first motherboard that does not have ps/2 keyboard and
mouse connectors on it this week.  It's a funny thing ... because a
keyboard connector seems to be all it doesn't have.  It has 6 ide
channels, digital audio, firewire and 6 USB ports.

Anyways, usb keyboards don't work that smoothly.  If the keyboard
emulation is set to 'BIOS' ... you can do things like edit the RAID
config (onboard) or a PCI card BIOS config... but the keyboard won't
show up at all to FreeBSD.

With the keyboard compatibility set to 'OS' ... FreeBSD sees and uses
the keyboard.  Two caveat's, however.  The boot loader is inaccessible
in this mode and if the keyboard is not plugged in on boot, it cannot
be plugged in later.  The system recognises ukbd0 when it's plugged
in, but it doesn't attach to the console.

I fear that we'll see more motherboards like this.

Dave.