VIA EPIA-M10000 board "just works" with FreeBSD 4.8

lemon lemon at aldigital.co.uk
Thu Sep 25 07:18:17 PDT 2003

Clifton Royston wrote:
>   For anyone who's interested, I've been running FreeBSD 4.8 on the
> EPIA-10000M mini-ITX for at least a couple months now; it's available
> for as little as $160 with CPU + motherboard + case + p/s bought
> integrated as the FIC Falcon CR53, and there's a surprising amount of
> I/O integrated onboard.  For anybody who's looking to build cheap but
> reasonably powerful servers or desktop machines, this looks like a
> winner.

seconded - i'm hugely chuffed with mine, it runs really quiet.

>   I haven't run any real benchmarks, but in terms of "feel" it might be
> equivalent to maybe a 500-600MHz PIII.  The total server parts list ran
> about $350 with shipping, including 7200rpm IDE drive and a 2nd 100BT
> card (Linksys LNE100TX.) I haven't tried X or the sound capabilities so
> I'm not sure how suitable it would be for a desktop; I also haven't
> tested whether the IEEE-1394 would work under FreeBSD.  For a low-end
> server, though, it's pretty nice, and moderately quiet too.

XFree86 is ok under x11-servers/XFree86-4-Server-snap's via code.
general desktop performance is fine. sound works too, y'normal pcm(4).

i've had no joy using the integrated "castlerock" mpeg2 decoder in the
graphics chipset, and indeed mplayer threw a hissy fit with it. given
the youth of the X stuff, this is likely to get better.

>   The motherboard includes integrated CPU, 1 DDR slot, 4 USB, 2 serial,
> 1 parallel I/O, 2 IEEE-1394, floppy port, dual IDE, SVGA out + SVHS TV
> out, 10/100 LAN, and 1 PCI.  The IDE interface works at ATA133 under
> FreeBSD 4.8; the VIA/Realtek ethernet is recognized as vr0.  The CPU
> integrated on the motherboard is a 1GHz VIA C3, an IDT descendant - the
> newer "Nehemiah" core which is claimed to have better instructions per
> clock than the older VIA cores.
>
>   Matt Dillon posted about the earlier EPIA boards a while back, so I
> thought I'd add a note that this one also works well.
>
>   -- Clifton, not a VIA salesrep

me neither!

Andrew Gallatin wrote:
 > Clifton Royston writes:
 >  >   For anyone who's interested, I've been running FreeBSD 4.8 on the
 >  > EPIA-10000M mini-ITX for at least a couple months now; it's
 >  > available
 >
 > Cool!  Have you measured the power consumption?

if i find a suitable gizmo, i'll do so :)

cheers, l.

--
lemon at aldigital.co.uk	+44 020 8742 0755   http://www.aldigital.co.uk/
system administrivia         c6 h8 o7          http://www.thebunker.net/