USB card overcurrent problems...

Bernd Walter ticso at cicely12.cicely.de
Wed Sep 24 12:19:36 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 06:32:42PM +0200, Barry Bouwsma wrote:
> [Drop hostname part of IPv6-only address above to obtain IPv4-capable e-mail,
>  or just drop me from the recipients and I'll catch up from the archives]
>

> Hello every last one of you,
>
> First, before I spout off in the wrong forum, is there a better or preferred
> location for USB-hardware-related questions like that which follows, akin to
> the firewire list?
>

> Okay, the question:  I have two cards with USB2.0 awareness, used for their
> USB 1.x capability under FreeBSD 4.x.  One of them, a UHCI card, works just
> fine, but the other one, an OHCI card, out-of-the-box exhibits problems.
> Chipset is identified in dmesg as NEC uPD 9210 USB controller.

Current protection and limiting is completely up to the card designer.
The best that FreeBSD can do is getting informed if the card design
allows it, but I almost never saw a card doing this.
Many cards just have some kind of self healing or melting fuses, some
very bad designed cards don't even have this.

Either your hubs really use more power then it is allowed to or you
have a broken controller card.

ticso at bwct.de                                  info at bwct.de