SimpleTech USB HDD driver

dodell at sitetronics.com dodell at sitetronics.com
Mon Sep 22 06:12:52 PDT 2003

Original Message:
-----------------
From: Scott Mitchell scott+freebsd at fishballoon.org
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:37:03 +0100
To: dodell at sitetronics.com, freebsd-hackers at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: SimpleTech USB HDD driver

On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:24:06AM -0400, dodell at sitetronics.com wrote:
> I just bought a 120GB SimpleTech USB harddrive and I want to use it with
> FreeBSD 4.8 (the
> HDD is part number STI-U2F35/120). AFAIK, 4.8 doesn't support USB HDDs.
Why
> is this?

Did you try plugging it in?  If it really is a USB mass storage device, it
is supported and should just work.  All the necessary drivers are already
there in the GENERIC kernel.

Some devices might require 'quirks' to be added to the kernel to get them
to work with 4.8 or earlier, but I think even this requirement has mostly
gone away in 4.9.

You might want to take a look at Dan Pelleg's DaemonNews article:
http://ezine.daemonnews.org/200305/cfmount.html.  It talks about CF devices
but the part dealing with USB should also apply to disks.

	Scott
--------------------------
Hey Scott,

I just bought the thing and I'm at work, so I haven't had a chance to try
it out yet. I've sent a
message to the SimpleTech support people... hopefully they're OSS friendly.
I'll give more
information as I have it. I was under the impression though that USB HDDs
were unsupported
in RELENG_4; I may be totally off base, in which case I apologize for
sending unnecessary
emails to the list.

Thanks for the link to the article; I'll let you know about my
sucesses/failures.

--Devon