problems with many vn-backed filesystems (in the same directory?)

Josh Brooks user at mail.econolodgetulsa.com
Sat Sep 20 16:26:13 PDT 2003

Hello,

If I create a lot of vn-backed filesystems ... say ... 30 of them, and
then do heavy i/o inside one or more of them, I can reliably lock up a
FreeBSD 4.x system.

I have seen this in every version from 4.5-4.8.

Two questions:

1) can anyone confirm this ?  Has this been discussed ?

2) I seem to remember that someone mentioned that this problem might not
manifest itself if each vn-backed filesystem was inside of its own
directory - as opposed to having all of the vn-files and the mount points
all inside the same directory.  Comments ?

Actually, any comments at all relating to large numbers of vn-backed
filesystems causing crashes is appreciated.

thank.