isapnp vs pci card: device_probe_and_attach

Bjoern A. Zeeb bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net
Fri Sep 19 12:01:42 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have put an older isapnp scsi card in my computer. For this card
there is (not yet) a driver for FreeBSD.
I also had some pci cards in there of course.

When trying to load the driver for the pci card I run into
	"device_probe_and_attach: %s%d attach returned 6\n"

This happens because the isapnp card seems to be on the same irq.
I can see this is I kldload a driver skeleton I had written for this
isapnp card.
Another way to make the pci card get an irq and load ok is to set the
irq in question from pci/pnp to isa in the bios so that the pci card
will use another one. But I think this might render the isapnp card
unusable.

Q: is this possible when there is no driver for the isapnp card
   (loaded) that the pci card fails to get the irq ?
   Isn't there a way so that the PCI card will use another irq
   and initialize correctly ?

Any comments or pointers to docs on this topics would help me.

56 69 73 69 74				http://www.zabbadoz.net/