mount_unionfs directory permissions.

Lewis Thompson purple at lewiz.net
Fri Sep 19 02:37:28 PDT 2003

Hi,

This is the first time I've posted to -hackers and I apologise in
advance since it's not strictly what I expect goes on here (and have
read on Google Groups).  However, the question I want to ask is best
answered here, I think.

  I've been playing with mount_unionfs but get stuck when it comes to
permissions.  I'm using it in the context of a ``base'' jail.  The
mount_unionfs man page states:

Filenames are looked up in the upper layer and then in the lower layer.
If a directory is found in the lower layer, and there is no entry in the
upper layer, then a shadow directory will be created in the upper layer.
It will be owned by the user who originally did the union mount, with
mode ``rwxrwxrwx'' (0777) modified by the umask in effect at that time.

  What I want to know is why?  Could there not be an option to inherit
the permissions of the file/directory?

  Thanks very much,

-lewiz.

--
I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now.  --Bob Dylan, 1964.
-| msn:purple at lewiz.net | jab:lewiz at jabber.org | url:http://lewiz.net |-