WINE and hyperthreaded P4s

Dan Strick strick at covad.net
Wed Sep 10 06:06:20 PDT 2003

I always get an error like this when I run wine on FreeBSD 5.1:

    % wine98 sol
    err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section 0x5c0ebb00
    "../../scheduler/syslevel.c: Win16Mutex" wait timed out in thread 000a,
    blocked by 0009, retrying (60 sec)

My first thought was that I must have botched my kernel, but the
generic kernel does the same thing.  Then I double checked my kernel
config options.  It has all the required SYSVxxx options but not
USER_LDT (which seems to have gone away in release 5.1).
(Is this correct?)

My next thought was that wine just didn't work on FreeBSD 5.1.
Then I did a mailing list archive search and turned up a brief discussion
of what people were using wine for on release 5.1.

So why does wine work (more or less as usual) on other people's
FreeBSD 5.1 systems but not on mine?  What is different about
my system?

My most recent speculation, which I admit is rather speculative, is that
wine somehow discovers that I have a hyperthreaded P4 cpu and tries to
do some extra mutiple-threaded thing but fails since I have hyperthreading
disabled in the BIOS and I don't run a multiprocessor kernel.
I don't really believe this explanation, but at least it is interesting.

Can anyone suggest a more likely reason for my wine failures?

I guess I could just wait for release 5.2 and see if the problem goes
away.

Dan Strick
strick at covad.net