Serial ATA 4.8 Installation -help

florian mettetal falieson at falsworld.com
Tue Sep 9 18:30:48 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 02:54, Soren Schmidt wrote:
> It seems florian mettetal wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have built a brand new system founded on an Asus P4PE motherboard, and
> > using the FastTrack raid function I have turned my two Maxtor 80GB
> > Serial ATA (now reffered to as SATA) hard drives into a Mirror raid.
> >
> > Proceeding to start the installation of FreeBSD 4.8-stable I selected
> > Standard Install, Press ok at the pop up, then at the following popup I
> > am confronted with FreeBSD telling me that "No disks found! Please
> > verify that your disk controller is being properly probed at boot time".
> > Has anyone else had this issue? Is this problem fixed in FreeBSD 5.X .
> > What can I do to get this to work in FreeBSD 4.8?
>
> 4.x doesn't support the Promise SATA controllers, you need at least 5.1
> for that. The -current ATA driver might be backported later this year,
> nothing definite yet.
>
> -Søren

Hmm... I have never setup a mirror Raid before, especially never in
FreeBSD 5.1 , I have always been using 4.8  =/

Now, I am at the Select Drives (Second screen) which menas that 5.1 does
see my promise SATA raid controller. Now... I have 3 selections to use
for drives, ad4, ad6, ar0
First, I have 2 drives, and one is just a mirror of the other. my
presumption is to singularly use ar0, but... I really do not know. And
as this will someday hopefully be my production server... I wanna set it
up right.

Any clues anyone?