C++ code in a kernel module?

John Giacomoni John.Giacomoni at colorado.edu
Tue Sep 9 08:58:24 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, Sep 9, 2003, at 00:29 America/Denver, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 11:12:59PM -0400, Alexander Kabaev wrote:
>> On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 23:02:33 -0400
>> "Matthew Emmerton" <matt at compar.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've been silently following this thread, and unless I missed
>>> something, has anyone asked John why he wants/needs to use C++ in the
>>> kernel?
>>>
>> Tools, not policy :)
>
> True but if John explains more of what he is trying to do, maybe
> someone can suggest either a way to avoid C++ or some insights as to
> how he can get his C++ modules to work.
>
> Peter

simple, I have preexisting C++ code which we are currently
using in userland and wish to push down into the kernel.

It would be ideal to keep the source bases the same without
a rewrite to C.  Admitting of course the possibility of having
to modify to be compatible with both use modes.

At present I am attempting to see what we can and cannot do
in the kernel with C++

John G