PUzzling sshd behaviour

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Mon Sep 8 13:30:04 PDT 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:55:10AM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 06, 2003 at 10:54:35PM -0300, Daniel C. Sobral wrote:
> > Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> > >
> > >But what about:
> > >     VerifyReverseMapping
> > >             Specifies whether sshd should try to verify the remote host
> > >             name
> > >             and check that the resolved host name for the remote IP
> > >             address
> > >             maps back to the very same IP address.  The default is ``no''.
> >
> > AFAIK, that means the reverse mapping result will not be held against
> > you. :-)
>
> This sounds like a bug. Does anyone else agree?

Yes and I really needed this functionality in a project for 12 Suns...

But it didn't work as expected from the description.

And for me a functionality like being able to prevent reverse lookup
would be completely logical ...

Result was to create about 20 /etc/hosts entries on every sun, to
prevent this 60 seconds timeout for our Out Of Band login via VPN
and from sun to sun etc etc

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/