PUzzling sshd behaviour

Dwayne MacKinnon Dwayne.MacKinnon at xwave.com
Fri Sep 5 11:05:11 PDT 2003

Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

> Do you use Privilege Separation?  That can give interesting results with
> DNS due to chroot into /var/empty...  see the mailing lists archives.

Argh. This frustrates me. I did some searching on various mailing lists
before, and when they talked about switching into /var/empty they were
talking about the box abruptly attempting to make DNS lookups on the
localhost.

That wasn't what I was seeing, so I thought it was something different.
But I went looking again, and this time found my exact situation on
freebsd,stable. And yes, it's the privilege separation / chroot issue.

My apologies for wasting time and bandwidth.

DMK