non reliable nmi

Don Bowman don at sandvine.com
Thu Sep 4 06:16:32 PDT 2003

> From: Mike Silbersack [mailto:silby at silby.com]
> On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Don Bowman wrote:
>
> > I have machdep.ddb_on_nmi=1.
> > I can drop into the debugger with the magic
> > key sequence. However, when i hit the NMI
> > jumper, i don't always go there. Sometimes
> > I do.
> > The system is 4-way SMP [2xHTT xeon processors]
> > with 4.7.
> >
> > Any suggestion on where my NMI might be going?
>
> Is your NMI about 106K in size, and does it have the subjects
> "Thank you",
> "Wicked screensaver" and others?  If so, I think I know where it's
> going...

?
it was actually a serious question. The nmi header on
my board goes into the ICH-3 of my chipset, but shorting the
jumper out doesn't always enter the debugger. It does
sometimes. If I set the NMI_NOW bit in the ICH-3 I always
enter the debugger. I was curious if anyone else had seen
this behaviour.

--don