20TB Storage System (fsck????)

Geoff Buckingham geoffb at chuggalug.clues.com
Thu Sep 4 04:06:03 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 04, 2003 at 01:12:45AM -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:

> Yes.  Limit the number of CG bitmaps you examine simultaneously,
> and make the operation multiple pass over the disk.  This is not
> that hard a modification to fsck, and it can be done fairly
> quickly by anyone who understands the code.  The code in time to
> fsck the disk will go up inversely proportionally to the amount
> of RAM it's allowed to use, which is limited to the UVA size
> minus the fsck program size itself, and the fsck buffers used for
> things like FS metadata for a given file/directory.

Pardon my ignorance but does the number of inodes in the filesystem have a
significant impact on the memory requirement of fsck?

I ask as it was previously stated the smallest file on the 10TB filessytem
would be 500MB which would enable a vastley reduced number of inodes and
possibly very large block fragment and cluster sizes?