Ugly Huge BSD Monster

Sten Daniel Sørsdal sten.daniel.sorsdal at wan.no
Tue Sep 2 04:10:14 PDT 2003

> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 12:38:34PM -0700, Greg Shenaut wrote:
> >Has it ever been suggested to create one or more "dependencies"
> >ports (or more to the point, packages)?  I think it might be pretty
> >useful to have something like that so that all of the "prerequisites"
> >can be installed at once.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something but how would that be an improvement on
> what FreeBSD does now?  If I try to install package X, it will
> automatically install dependencies A, B and C, as well as their
> dependencies.

That would ease the installation of port X on Y number of machines.
Same libraries, same everything, precompiled.
Otherwise one needs to manually track dependencies (not a terribly
difficult job) and make those as packages, and keep doing this until
all dependencies are as packages (in my case, i have several
light-weight servers/routers that have no gcc/make capabilities).

If anyone knows of a program/script that will do this for me, please speak up!

- Sten