Some mmap observations compared to Linux 2.6/OpenBSD

Vivek Pai vivek at CS.Princeton.EDU
Fri Oct 31 12:21:23 PST 2003

Before we proceed on this, I'd like to ask is there actuall a committer
ready to follow up on this? We currently make our patches available on
Ping's homepage, and they're relatively clean. He spent a fair bit of
time getting it from a relatively ugly set of changes to something more
elegant and better integrated with the rest of the kernel. However, even
with the benchmark success that we've gotten (which Aniruddha Bohra
mentioned in a different e-mail), we haven't had a single nibble from a
committer. FreeBSD lags Linux badly on the SpecWeb99 benchmarks, and
those are probably more representative than some arbitrary
microbenchmark. It would be nice to get some respectable numbers on it,
especially if we could do it with a stable user-space server.

-Vivek