5.x kernel config changes?

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Thu Oct 30 11:40:55 PST 2003

I just built my first 5.1-RELEASE box requiring a custom kernel, and
noticed some interesting things.

1) It appears IPFW just works (eg, configure it in /etc/rc.conf).  It
   used to be you had to compile it in.  What's interesting to me is
   that IPFW options are not in generic, and I didn't think "options"
   could be done in LKM's.  What am I missing?

2) IPDIVERT is missing / doesn't work, so while my IPFW config seemed
   to take/work natd did not work.  If IPFW is just going to work having
   IPDIVERT just work seems like a good idea as well.

3) There seems to be no more LINT or other listing of all the options.
   Why?  In particular I needed "options NETATALK" but couldn't remember
   the name and there was no file to quickly grep.  Has the list of
   options been moved somewhere else?

4) Due to the way the makefiles now work it seems impossible to build a
   new kernel after changing just "options" statements and install it
   without also rebuilding all the modules...which takes quite some
   time.  This seems to be because it moves the whole directory out of
   the way in /boot.  This seems a little suboptimal to me.