Experimental FreeBSD and Linux kernel source cross reference web site

Robert Watson rwatson at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 30 09:11:40 PST 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Hiten Pandya wrote:

> 	Thank you very very much! ;-)
>
> 	Atlast, someone got to it.  I have been wanting to setup LXR for
> 	DragonFly for quite some time now, but did not have enough time
> 	on my hands to mess with it.  Does it require any sort of
> 	patching for it to work on FreeBSD ?  I recall it requires MySQL
> 	and some other stuff..

I'm actually using an older version of the lxr software, 0.3.1, which
doesn't make use of a back-end SQL database, rather, some simple db-based
data stores and glimpse for searches.  It was a lot easier to set up, once
I fixed some rather critical bugs :-).

I've gone ahead and dropped a snapshot of the DFBSD sys tree on fxr as
well, and am currently cvsuping opendarwin source to drop a recent
snapshot of xnu.  I'm not sure if there are any DFBSD tags worth using
other than HEAD, so I just used a timestamp for the checkout.  The
rearrangement of the DFBSD tree makes diffing between FreeBSD and DFBSD
bits a little more difficult, but in many cases it's fairly feasible. I've
been trying to decide how to improve diffability between the FreeBSD and
Darwin trees: most FreeBSD bits compare directly with xnu/bsd/..., not
xnu/..., and lxr isn't very flexible about how it sets up diff
comparisons.

I've also noticed that lxr is currently unwilling to index macros as
identifiers when they're generated at compile-time, which means (for
example) that you have to use freetext searches to find vnode operation
macro use.  I'm not sure how much more time I'm willing to invest in
further refining lxr itself, but I'll keep the source code snapshots
up-to-date and bring in new sources of kernel source code as appropriate.

robert at fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories