[4.8-RELEASE - Stable, 5.1-RELEASE] Panics when system loaded

Andrew Kinney andykinney at advantagecom.net
Mon Oct 27 11:02:08 PST 2003

On 27 Oct 2003 at 13:08, Jaco van Tonder wrote:

> buildworld and my machine panicked. Tried a few more times with random
> panics. Same random panics occur if I build the kernel. After a bit of
> struggling I managed to get a GENERIC kernel built with debug symbols
> on the latest source. I did not manage to build or install world on
> the new sources, but the panics happen regardless of what kernel is
> running.

Last time we had random trap 12 panics, it was because we had
some bad RAM.  The RAM wasn't bad enough to fail post, but it did
occasionally flip bits on the data registers of one of the chips. Not all
RAM test software can catch that, but the Dell diagnostic software
did.

Of course the same thing can happen if your BIOS has overly
aggressive RAM timings set.

Since your problems occurred regardless of the kernel, it would
certainly imply a hardware problem.

Sincerely,
Andrew Kinney
President and