two soundcards and realplayer

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Sat Oct 25 04:26:53 PDT 2003

Martin Ván(a wrote:

>Hi,
>I use two soundcards on my Freebsd5.1 box - Sb Live and SB AWE64, FreeBSD somehow figured out that
>Live is better than Awe and made it "primary" soundcard. The reason I have AWE still in computer, is
>it's amplyfing skills /2x4W/ so I don't need aditional amplyfier. With Xmms it's fine, I just changed
>confile and enjoy music. But I can't figure out how to swap soundcards in RealPlayer and Mplayer.
>Is there a way how to change it system wide?
>Thank you
>Martin

Well, I suppose you could do something like mv /dev/dsp0 /dev/dsp.tmp &&
mv /dev/dsp1 /dev/dsp0 && mv /dev/dsp.tmp /dev/dsp1

Not sure how terribly well that'd work (and it's a horrendous hack),
though you can select the output device in mplayer with the ao: option.
I don't know anything about RealPlayer, so I wouldn't be able to help
you there.

--Devon