rsync vs installworld

Colin Percival colin.percival at wadham.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 20 02:52:37 PDT 2003

At 13:42 20/10/2003 +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
>Nope, because:
>- security/freebsd-update does not handle ports at all
>- it is only for security branches and so does not fit in the case of locally
>patched system

   Local patches aren't a problem, actually -- regardless of what I may
advertise, FreeBSD Update doesn't really track the security branches
either: It tracks "release branches plus some local fixup patches" (the
only user-visible change is that kernels are labeled as -SECURITY intead of
-RELEASEpx).
   Of course, you'd need to build your own updates if you're doing this,
but the code is all online and (reasonably) straightforward.

Colin Percival