rsync vs installworld

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Oct 18 18:29:06 PDT 2003

I'm contemplating a binary distribution system for some systems that I
have.  I'm ignoring kernel updates for the moment, and concentrating
on userland deployment.

I'm thinking of doing something like:

make buildworld
make installworld DESTDIR=/big/disk/freebsd/image
make mergemaster -D /big/disk/freebsd/mergemaster

And then on each machine I want to update I'd do something like:

sudo rsync --exclude etc --exclude usr/local --exclude boot \
	--delete -av host-server:/big/disk/freebsd/image /
sudo rm -rf /tmp/mergemaster
sudo scp host-server:/big/disk/freebsd/mergemaster /tmp/mergemaster
sudo mergemaster -someargs

My question is: has anybody else tried this?  If so, what bumps along
the way are there going to be?

Warner