crypt

Peter Pentchev roam at ringlet.net
Thu Oct 16 04:45:52 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 11:37:37AM +0000, omestre wrote:

>  Hello, i need authenticate users in a FreeBSD environment and linux
> environment. My passwords are stored with FreeBSD crypt format. We wrote
> a pam module to authenticate the users, but if the module runs in FreeBSD
> and obvious (crypt bsd)... works. In linux does not. Have a simple way to
> write a simple "crypt" function to my linux module, that behaves like the
> FreeBSD libc crypt function? Then i will bypass the two libc crypt
> *imcompatibilities*...
>  Sorry by the english.

Linux has a crypt(3) function, too, and it usually works.  You'll need
to tell us a bit more than 'in linux does not' - what exactly does not
work?

My first guess would be that you cannot compile or load your module,
because either the linker or the loader tells you that the 'crypt'
symbol is undefined.  In that case, try giving the -lcrypt option to
the linker, to tell it to use the libcrypt library - some Linux
distributions keep their crypt(3) in a separate library.

G'luck,
Peter

--
Peter Pentchev	roam at ringlet.net    roam at sbnd.net    roam at FreeBSD.org
.siht ekil ti gnidaer eb d'uoy ,werbeH ni erew ecnetnes siht fI