Determining CPU features / cache organization from userland

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Fri Oct 10 09:26:15 PDT 2003

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 02:44:00PM +0100, Bruce M Simpson wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 03:36:40AM -0700, Joseph Koshy wrote:
> > I'm looking for ways that a userland program can determine the CPU
> > features available on an SMP machine -- processor model, stepping
> > numbers, supported features, cache organization etc.
>
> "What Silby said" and have a look at the sysutils/x86info port.

Hey, cool, I'd never heard about this.

Just tried this, and got some wierdness.  Can I ask about it here,
or do I poke at the port maintainer?

> I've been thinking we should definitely make the cache organization
> info available via sysctl. I am thinking we should do this to make
> the UMA_ALIGN_CACHE definition mean something...
>
> I will probably throw diffs Jeff's way soon for this but I'm recovering
> from a bit of a nasty cold right now.
>
> BMS

Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert at numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842
Derry NH 03038-1713 USA			BSD admin/developer at large